Blogging Envy & Social Media Jealousy

B

Bit of a personal post today guys. I’m feeling SO down at the moment.

I love blogging. I love everything about the whole process and I literally enjoy it more than anything! But I’m really struggling with confidence in myself and jealousy of the big bloggers. I’m proud of my blog and my social media accounts but I’m finding it so hard to not compare myself to other people. Anyone else do this?

Like, why am I such a perfectionist? I take my photos in my garden with a self-timer on my camera. I have no photographer and no pretty London street to take my photos in – and if I had the choice and the resources to do this I seriously would. I look at the top bloggers and how perfect their photos are and I can’t help but wish my photos were as amazing as that.

Being a relatively new blogger is so hard because trying to get noticed is just impossible. Like, contacting brands to collaborate with and most of them don’t reply because your not a girl with 100,000 followers and haven’t worked with Missguided yet. That constant rejection can’t help but leave me feeling a bit down in confidence, like I’m questioning myself ‘is my blog good enough?’.

Twitter as well is a big thing for bloggers. I created a twitter for my blog earlier this week, and because you’ve got less than 100 followers people assume your a low key blogger and don’t bother to look at your page or give you a lil’ follow. I’m really struggling with people taking me seriously and it’s such a blow! It’s a bit like, unless your Sarah Ashcroft or Lily Melrose then we don’t want to work with you or look at your blog.

Instagram has to come in somewhere too – it’s all about showing the things that are happening in your life and basically it’s just the good things. I look at bloggers going out for lunch and people modelling in London or even over in America and I can’t help think my life is really dull because I’m full of illness and so can’t really do much. Instagram doesn’t show people’s lives, only the fun things they want to show.

I feel like I’m being quite strong and weird but I’m just being honest! Followers aren’t everything too, everyone knows it’s about the content, but lets face it – the more you have the more likely you are to be given opportunities.

Some positives come out of this for me however – any brands who actually are willing to work with me I am SO appreciative of and I spend loads of time thinking of how I can style their things or write about them in the best way I can. I like to think I cherish the little things and am grateful for the opportunities I am given.

Anyone else feeling the envy? Let me know your thoughts in the comments – I’d love to hear what others think about this sort of thing!

Bloglovin / YouTube / Twitter / Instagram

1. Kerstin
    26th June 2015 / 3:45 pm

Yes this is exactly how I’m feeling. People always tell me that the 2k followers I have on instagram is much but I can’t seem to appreciate it because I am constantly comparing myself to those super successful bloggers out there with 100+ thousand followers. This is so weird because blogging really isn’t about followers but let’s be honest here, writing isn’t nearly as much fun if you can’t share it with others.

I do really like your blog tho and just gave you a follow on twitter too 🙂

Love, Kerstin

• robynlouise27
      Author
      26th June 2015 / 3:51 pm

It’s not about followers your right but even though most don’t admit it … it kinda is a little. Like, the more followers, the higher amount of people who like your page or whatever and then the more opportunities you get. It’s hard not to compare to those really top bloggers who are gorgeous too!
      But thanks hun! I love yours too and I’ve given you a follow back on twitter sweetie.
      Much love,

2. 27th June 2015 / 11:08 am

I think you’re right. Especially in this kind of hobby/work it’s so hard to not compare yourself to the other bloggers out there because they’re everywhere and they’re so well admired! I think smaller bloggers can blend into the background a bit because people are just content with the big blogs they follow that they maybe don’t really look for newer/smaller ones. That being said I think it’s important to remind ourselves that everyone has to start somewhere and doing things differently is what sets us apart and makes us original. 🙂

I think your pictures/content is great but I also know from experience that hundreds of people could tell you something about you is amazing but if you don’t feel it yourself it doesn’t matter how many people tell you otherwise. 🙂 Keep at it! x

• robynlouise27
      Author
      28th June 2015 / 9:20 pm

What a lovely comment! I totally agree with you with the whole ‘blending into the background’ thing but I think smaller/newer bloggers stick together more and are like… more available to talk and chat? if that makes sense, whereas you’ll never get replies or contact from the top bloggers! it’s nice to feel like a community instead of just all being intimidated by the big guys!
      I also love your blog! just read your anxiety post too – I’m a huge anxiety sufferer in recovery at the moment – keep strong girl! xoxoxo

3. Brittany
    27th June 2015 / 8:22 pm

Hi Robyn
    This was quite sad to read however I am sure you aren’t the only one out there who feels the same way.

The blogging world is extremely oversaturated now and it’s quite hard to compete [as a new blogger] with the bigger bloggers who have large dedicated fan bases who aren’t prepared to give smaller blogs a chance. I personally prefer smaller bloggers and blogs! They are so much more accessible, plus they haven’t let the ‘fame’ go to their heads so you can still comment and actually get replies and have a one to one conversation with them. I’ve watched some of my favourite bloggers completely blow up and I’m not interested anymore, I can’t relate to them now their dressing in high end designers and jetting off on fancy holidays etc.

I think it’s very easy to caught up in comparing yourself with bigger bloggers but think back to when they first started out and were blogging on a smaller scale, their photos probably weren’t perfect and didn’t have a massive following. I try not to compare myself to anyone, I tend to use bigger bloggers as inspiration and more as motivation. Cringe that I just had to google the bloggers you mentioned!

Just keep doing what your doing, your appreciativeness for brands sending you items shines through, which is rare nowadays as I think a lot of people just expect to be sent stuff, like being a blogger it’s some sort of right?! I’m not too sure what my point is here…I guess I’m saying try not to compare yourself to others and if you love what you are doing keep at it! It shows when someone is actually into it. When I first started my blog I was very much the same, I was looking at so many big bloggers and felt I needed a super expensive Canon, a fabulous layout and some fancy street in London to take all my outfits but after a few posts and finding my feet I just thought why on earth did I ever think like that?!

Brittany xx

• robynlouise27
      Author
      28th June 2015 / 9:26 pm

Hi Brittany! I think I was having a bad morning that day haha! Thanks for such a lovely comment, it means so much for you to read my post! I definitely think many people feel the same way just because it’s what society is like these days – like everyone wants to be someone else and is lacking confidence etc etc. I love however that I can chat with smaller bloggers and feel really involved with the community whereas some big bloggers don’t communicate at all – obviously it’s hard to talk to everyone. I do think smaller bloggers appreciate things more – I had no idea people would contact me and send me over little bits and when they do every now and again I feel so treasured! I guess it’s all about doing what you love and finding your niche, that should be enough. It is enough for me I just get a bit frustrated looking at all of these top girls – you know what I mean? Like their lives seem so perfect (even though they’re probably not – whose is?). Much love to you, xx

4. réplique rolex
    27th November 2015 / 12:26 pm

I think she’s full of crap. I’ve seen her perform live. She uses her body and clothing to draw interest to her and her band. When the crowd isn’t responding the way she wants, she gets pissed and acts like a bitchy diva on stage. If her lyrics were more than high school level maturity, then I would take her “feminist art” more seriously.
    réplique rolex http://www.finewristwatchshop.com/fr/