What I Hate About Wearing Make-Up

Hi, I’m Robyn and I’m a complete make-up addict. I’m forever spending money on eyeshadow palettes and lipsticks, and having a dolled up face makes me feel so much more confident. I don’t quite like it as much as clothes… but it’s up there.

The only issue is… I really HATE wearing make-up. Literally, I despise it. I don’t know if I’m the only person that feels this, but I love how make-up makes me look and hate how it feels to wear. Strange right?

Firstly, it feels disgusting.

You know when you scratch your face (*cough* pick your spots) and you get foundation all over your fingers? Ugh. Having a full face of make-up makes me feel like I’ve got a layer of dirt on me and I literally can’t stand it.

Having to up-keep it is a hassle

It’s only 11.30am and you’ve already got to touch up your lipstick. So much effort. I literally spend the whole day checking my face in the mirror to check I’m not shiny.

Also, ‘just going to powder my nose’ IS NOT a thing. More like ‘just going to powder my nose and redo my entire face’.

Applying it takes forever

There are now about 659 steps to applying make-up these days – contouring AND fleeky eyebrows?! CMON. I want more time in bed.

Taking it off takes even longer

I’ll set the scene: you’re in bed all comfy and warm and BAM, you realise you haven’t taken off your make-up. 300 make-up wipes later and you’re now sore-faced, cold and uncomfortable.

It costs a bomb

A really expensive gold-plated bomb covered in glitter. That sh*t is expensive – and for some reason I always buy expensive make-up because it ‘stays longer’… wrong.

It usually looks crap anyway

I’m not a make-up artist and I’m so pale that there’s never a foundation light enough for me. I sport some kind of orange patchy look because foundation clings to all of my dry skin. Not to forget about blinking with newly put-on mascara, sigh.

Foundation gets EVERYWHERE

Why does this happen?! I’m surprised I have any foundation to take off at the end of the day because most of it ends up on my clothes or on my phone.

Not being able to cry all day

Sometimes I just need a good cry (either that or I saw a cute video of a puppy on Facebook and I want to weep) but NO – eyeliner will run.

It definitely gives me more spots

The worst cycle in the world… wearing make-up because you’ve got spots, but wearing make-up gives you more spots. Screw you science.

Uneven make-up

Making sure you get even eyeliner and eyebrows is so difficult – one will always be better than the other. ‘They aren’t twins, they’re sisters’ – yeah, too friggin right.

No kissing – ever

Nothing like an adorable little smooch and leaving your other half with pink lips and a powdery face, sorry Jimmy!

Having to clean brushes

Ew. The worlds most gross and unenjoyable task. Someone please invent self-cleaning make-up brushes.

Trying not to smudge your lipstick all day

I want to eat. I want to eat lots of food and I want to be able to get ketchup down my chin – but lipstick must stay in tact.

What-I-hate-about-make-up-002

What-I-hate-about-make-up-003

Sorry about the minor rant. But to be honest, I’m starting to think no make-up is a better option.

LOL JK – there’s no way I’m displaying my face to you all with no make-up on. But, I still hate it.

What do we all think about make-up? Do you hate wearing it?

Any tips to make me like it more would be fab also!

If you liked this post you may like 29 Things Most Girls Do But Don’t Admit To or Problems All Pale People Can Relate To.

What-I-hate-about-make-up-001

1. 1st March 2016 / 9:21 pm

I love wearing makeup and would wear a lot more of it if I wasn’t so scared of running out of my favorite products. It can feel a bit oily though but I hope that will change when I get my new face cream and primer.

What I do hate about makeup though is men thinking they need to have an oppinion about it. And then use that oppinion to make fun of women for wearing it.

• 2nd March 2016 / 11:12 am

Running out of my favourite products is the worst – especially if they’re expensive ones! I find even with primers I still get oily skin when I wear make-up – it’s the worst!

2. 1st March 2016 / 10:04 pm

You’ve (pretty much, give or take) listed every reason why I don’t wear make-up 😉 xo

• 2nd March 2016 / 11:12 am

Haha I do still wear make-up but if I’m not going anywhere special I don’t wear any haha!

3. Ellie
    1st March 2016 / 10:06 pm

Ugh I totally agree! Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way

• 2nd March 2016 / 11:13 am

Me too, glad you agree Ellie! But I can’t cope without make up either… struggles!

4. Kerona
    1st March 2016 / 10:43 pm

I can totally relate to this I love seeing make up I love how it looks but wearing it especially as the day goes and I get oily it feels disgusting.

• 2nd March 2016 / 11:13 am

Me too! I love how it looks and I love all the products but it’s just the feeling I get on my face… ew!

5. 1st March 2016 / 11:26 pm

This post is pretty much the story of my life. It’s so vile when you’ve been holding the phone to your ear and then look and there’s just a layer of foundation, urgh!x
    ourownwonderlandblog.wordpress.com

• 2nd March 2016 / 11:14 am

Hahaha that’s the worst – I hate getting my foundation on everything!

6. Sophie Mills
    2nd March 2016 / 9:34 am

I love buying makeup, swatching makeup, holding makeup, staring at makeup and collecting makeup, but I hate wearing it. I probably wear it twice a week (if that), and even when I do it is taken straight off when I get home. Who can be bothered with applying it for a lazy day? Not me, that’s for sure! I always leave some micellar water and cotton pads by the side of my bed so I can take it off in comfort.

Sophie x | Essential Twenty

• 2nd March 2016 / 11:15 am

Me too, agree with everything you’ve said there! I wear make up basically when I need to take photos or if I’m going out somewhere nice-ish, if I’m not going out I’m totally make up free haha!

7. The Purley Girly
    2nd March 2016 / 10:27 am

I HATE taking it off at the end of the day. It’s so boring, and adds so much tot he night-time routine. But every morning I find myself applying my war-paint as usual, forgetting that come bedtime I’ll be grizzling about taking it off. Ha ha!

• 2nd March 2016 / 11:16 am

Taking make up off is the worst, I don’t know why it’s such an unenjoyable task but I really can’t stand it! And if I’m wearing loads of make up I need like 20 cotton pads!

• 2nd March 2016 / 3:39 pm

Thanks! And aww that has made my day – thank you!

8. 2nd March 2016 / 3:47 pm

I’m the same. I love how it makes my face look so much better but it’s so uncomfortable. I hate it when it gets to the end of the day and the oil starts showing and there’s no way you can fix it. Sooo annoying!

Kayleigh

• 2nd March 2016 / 4:14 pm

Exactly that! When it gets to the evening I’m so fed up with the make-up and it just feels gross!

9. 2nd March 2016 / 4:39 pm

It really does feel DISSSSGUSTING on doesn’t it? I’m always so grossed out when I wipe it off at night.

What a refreshing post! So glad to know I’m not the only make-up-adversed woman out there!

Xoxo,

Ashley || Sed Bona

• 3rd March 2016 / 3:09 pm

Having a make-up wipe full of foundation at the end of the day is so gross haha! I still wear make-up but goddd I hate it!

10. 5th March 2016 / 8:58 pm

Some days my face feels really heavy, if you get me? Especially if I’m wearing foundation! I always forget about eyeliner and mascara and get it smudged across my face! x

• 6th March 2016 / 11:26 am

Yesss that’s what I feel! It feels so cakey and heavy on my face and it just feels gross! And haha me too, like when you get an itch on your eyelid or something and forget you’re wearing eyeliner… Haha!

• 6th March 2016 / 11:28 am

Me too – such a love/hate relationship! Such a girl problem!

11. megan
    7th March 2016 / 10:03 pm

I love doing makeup but so true I’m forever telling my boyfriend to back off because my lip liner is too on point haha! also i feel your pain i cant find a foundation to match my skin either it drives me insane!!! xx

• 8th March 2016 / 2:23 pm

Hahaha that’s hilarous, me too! I have some lipsticks which smudge really easily but I love the colour so I’m just like ‘go away’!

12. Shannon Palmer
    8th March 2016 / 7:29 pm

Love this post! I hate wearing it too but I feel I have to with my problem skin haha yet it causes me breakouts, such a vicious circle! x

• 9th March 2016 / 12:41 pm

Hahaha isn’t it the WORST cycle! I’m exactly the same!!

13. 15th March 2016 / 2:56 pm

Love this post. I definitely have a love / hate relationship with makeup, too!

• 18th March 2016 / 7:23 pm

Haha glad it’s not just me! It does my head in but I can’t not wear it!

14. 21st March 2016 / 1:11 am

I flipping LOVE your rant posts by the way. Everything you said, I was nodding my head to minus the foundation one.. I don’t wear it as my skin doesn’t agree with it. You mentioned that you love purchasing expensive makeup products – have you tried MakeUp Revolution in Superdrug? Seriously cheap and their palettes are incredible. I bought their £3 highlighter and it is the best item in my makeup bag.

Lovely post.

EL xx

• 21st March 2016 / 10:08 am

Haha I love a good rant Emma! I wish I could not wear foundation – but I’m far too blotchy and spotty. And yessss I love Make up Revolution!! I have so many of their palattes! It’s just things like foundation and eyeliner I have to buy more expensive products or I just end up looking like an orange panda haha!