Blog Organisation Tips From A Perfectionist

In this world you’ll either be really organised, or not organised at all. I’m afraid I’m really lame and I’m as organised as they come, because I’m SUCH a perfectionist. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good trait to have but I’d much rather be one of those people that run on 3 hours of sleep every night or something. Anyhoo, I thought I’d put my organisation skills to good use and share my top tips with you all, including some documents I use for organisation and things like that. After reading this post all of you messy lot will fall in LOVE with spreadsheets (basically, I’m gonna give you templates).

PICTURE FOLDERS.

This one may be self explanatory, but as a blogger I use billions of pictures and if I didn’t store them in an organised way I’m pretty sure I’d go mad. In my pictures I have a blog folder, and then I have every folder named “POST #…” (with the number and name of post) for each blog post so that way they stay in order of most recent blog posts and when I want to look for old photos I know whereabouts to look. I’m sure this one is pretty basic, but I bet there are some of you out there that search through 200 post folders to find the one you’re looking for.

When it comes to naming the folder, the number comes first then I name the folder with the name of the blog post – sometimes I’ve no idea what the blog post title will be until I’ve written the post but I always go back and change it (that way you won’t get confused about which ‘pretty dress’ folder to look in).

I have other folders, one called ‘Important’ which is for invoices, another for my media kit, and of course another folder for Instagram Photos (I hate it when they just get lost in my downloads when I get them from Dropbox). I also keep my Instagram photos in monthly folders, fyi!

ONGOING WORD DOCUMENT.

One thing I always have open on my laptop is a Blog Word Document. In this I have random lists of posts to-do, money I’m owed, collaborations that are outstanding and things like that. Sometimes I find paper to-do lists get lost and I always forget to keep up with them, but because I’m always on my laptop I can always jot down random light-bulb moments.

Click the link below to see a template of my document (also this is mega simple don’t expect anything special and you’re all fully capable of doing it, but if you cba then you have no excuse).

BLOGGER WORD DOC

THE BLOGGER SPREADSHEET.

If you’re a blogger and don’t have a blog spreadsheet then HOW DO YOU COPE?! When I first started blogging I created a huge spreadsheet to keep track of everything I was receiving, any income I was getting and things like that. I’ve got tabs for different categories (for example, fashion, beauty, homeware) and then a tab for income, with amounts and the dates they were paid. This is the most helpful thing in the world because everything I’ve achieved is in one place – it’s also great to see what brands you’ve worked with if you want to add them to your media kit or mention them in emails to PR companies, and it’s also great to look at and create monthly/yearly goals to better yourself. I update my spreadsheet every two weeks or so with my latest blog post collabs.

Below I’ve added the template to my spreadsheet, there’s a homepage which directs to other pages so you can download it and change around the names/categories etc – hope some of you find this helpful!

BLOGGER-SPREADSHEET-TEMPLATE

Side note: fully aware of how boring and plain my documents are but I have mine spruced up with my blog font and whatnot, so play around with it to make it all look funkaaay! It’s worrying how I actually enjoy having this spreadsheet, but it makes me feel so stress-free because I’ve got everything documented in one place!

THE STATS SPREADSHEET.

Not gonna lie, I’m not sure why I have my statistics in a different spreadsheet to my blogger one, but I find the other is for post links and income, whereas this one is literally just for my statistics. I basically have simple monthly columns for my views, users and whatnot. I find it really helpful having all of this because you can compare views from month to month and see when your posts are doing best. Even though a lot of people say statistics aren’t important – if you want to work with companies they might ask for your statistics. Think about it, if you were a brand you’d want to be able to see how many views you get. I have a separate page on this spreadsheet for my followings on social media which I update monthly too.

Like before, click the link below to download the template of my spreadsheet!

STATISTICS SPREADSHEET

blog-organisation-1

Well guys, I really hope some of you are gonna get super organised with your blog – I’m sure most of you already are, but for some the idea of creating a spreadsheet might be their idea of hell… So I hope you find it useful!

If you liked this post you may like How To Get The Most Out Of Social Media or Yes, I Photoshop My Face In Photos.

1. 7th August 2016 / 8:50 pm

There’s some really useful tips here thank you so much! I’ve downloaded all of the documents so I’ll see how I get on trying to get more organised 🙂

Matt

• 8th August 2016 / 8:24 am

Thanks Matt! Hope you find them useful!

2. 7th August 2016 / 9:03 pm

This is so me! I have so many blog spreadsheets for different things and my blog photo folders I have so many! I have my PR Ones that are done and need doing, my bulk posts, product reviews etc…

Emmy | EmmysBeautyCave | Bloglovin

• 8th August 2016 / 8:24 am

I can’t cope if I’m not organised! Stresses me out so much haha!

• 8th August 2016 / 8:25 am

Really hope you find them useful and helpful! 🙂

3. 8th August 2016 / 10:48 am

Great and useful tips! I can never stick to a spreadsheet and always prefer keeping stuff in a notebook, but I might try give the spreadsheet another go with the use of your template. Thanks for sharing x

Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

• 9th August 2016 / 4:45 pm

No problem Lauren! Hope you find it useful! I really struggle with notebooks I always forget to use them then they get lost in my room haha!

• 9th August 2016 / 4:45 pm

Glad you think so Naomi! Hope you find it helpful!

4. 8th August 2016 / 9:24 pm

Yes organisation! I use most of these tips already because I’m as organised as you! Seriously though I don’t know people cope without spreadsheets xx

• 9th August 2016 / 4:46 pm

You’re probably more organised than me to be honest haha! I don’t know how they do either, I feel so stressed when things aren’t documented or whatever!

5. 8th August 2016 / 11:47 pm

This is such a neat post, from a perfectionist to a perfectionist 🙂
    I’m all about my spreadsheets and to-do’s! Tracking, scheduling, jotting down little thoughts and ideas, I’m all about that, girl! Being a perfectionist is a pretty good quality to have but I am sometimes struggling with getting things done because they are “not perfect yet”. Most posts would take me 10+ hrs to create (including photography, editing, proofreading)! I am starting to be less harsh on myself while still producing content I am 100% happy with. Planning and being organised helps immensely!
    xox Nadia

• 9th August 2016 / 4:47 pm

Yesss girl! I find it so stress-relieving to be on top of it all, even if it takes me hours! I spend so long writing my posts because I have to get them just right.

6. Hannie Arden Blaise
    9th August 2016 / 11:51 am

These are awesome tips!! 🙂 Thanks for posting.

• 9th August 2016 / 4:48 pm

No problem, hope you find them useful!

7. Lisa
    10th August 2016 / 7:20 am

Great tips!!! I’m working on my “statistics” but at the same time, I don’t want to get bogged down by it! Blogging is an interesting thing 🙂

Lisa

• 12th August 2016 / 9:17 am

I think listing statistics and being aware of them is different to engaging with them though – it’s difficult because statistics shouldn’t bog you down but they’re something that is good to list too!

8. 10th August 2016 / 8:55 am

Owwh! These are really such a helpful tips. I learned something while really scanning over your blog. What a great post babe!

Elisha | http://loveelisha.net

• 12th August 2016 / 9:18 am

I’m glad you learned something, thanks so much for stopping by!

9. 14th August 2016 / 12:13 pm

There are some serious organisation “goals” here, which is not a phrase I use very often as it makes me feel old. I wish I could be this organised but I certainly will be aspiring to be from now on.

• 15th August 2016 / 10:19 am

Haha that made me giggle! Try out the spreadsheets and you’ll realise how fulfilling it is being so organised!