Gloating About Your Alcohol Intake Doesn’t Make You Cool

“I drank like soooooo much last night”

“Mate, so did I, I threw up like 3 times, it was a sick night (literally)”

Heard all that before? Me too.

Is it okay to get drunk? Yes.

Is it okay to gloat about how much to drink? Well, it doesn’t feel okay if it ends up ruining your body. I might come across a little boring or old in this post, but when you go through experiences with alcohol that leave you in life changing situations then it does tend to change your mindset.

I went to University at 18, as a lot of people do, and I did a lot of drinking. Over the months my tolerance grew and I began to drank more and more, and considering I’m quite a little individual it was pretty unhealthy. It was fun for a year, I made new friends and I did hilarious drunk things. To be honest, I was pretty normal when it came to all that.

Just before I turned 20 I started getting mega ill. I started having a few sips of alcohol and being sick, and my hangovers would be more like a stomach bug than just a hangover. At the time, I was in my second year of University and also had tons of work, but with all the illness that I kept getting meant I got totally behind. I had my first ever panic attack, on my own, in a place I hated living. I went home for Christmas break and had continuous panic attacks for two weeks, as well as hospital and doctors visits so they could find out what was making me so ill. Yep, I had completely damaged my liver to the point that I was yellow-eyed, dehydrated and I’d developed Gilberts Syndrome. The syndrome itself isn’t that scary at all, but basically it meant that as soon as I had a drink I’d be ill for days, my immune system was a bit f*cked and I was totally fatigued.

I was totally freaked out to the point where I’d be panicking daily. I was freaked by the panic attacks themselves, and the fact my liver had gone into absolute meltdown and I couldn’t really fix it. Not to forget I was trying to complete a degree in maths…

I didn’t go back to University and I didn’t finish my degree. I drank so much alcohol that my liver had got damaged and I developed severe anxiety around being ill (after being so ill before) and that meant I pretty much screwed up everything. To this day I’m still in recovery from the anxiety and it’s nearly two years on. I don’t necessarily regret what I did, because things have changed in my life, but how pathetic is it to say that ‘I didn’t finish a degree because I drank myself to the point of being really sick’?

I hear so many people talk about ‘how they can drink like 1459 pints a night’ and I don’t know why but IT ANGERS ME. I used to think going out was so cool and drinking a ton of alcohol was the cool thing to do and now I’m back living with my parents with my life rewound 2 years, and that’s really not that cool.

At the moment I barely drink at all (obviously) but my liver is almost healed to a healthy state – luckily it can do that – but I’m always confronted with arsey comments about why I don’t drink and how lame I am for not drinking. That’s the point I want to make in this post. So many people judge a person by how much they drink and I don’t understand why? Why does it matter that I don’t get shitfaced every Saturday night? Why does it matter whether I can drink one cocktail but you can drink 5? I honestly couldn’t care less and the next time you’re battering someone for not drinking, remember they may have a back story.

You can now shop my AUTUMN WARDROBE.

If you liked this post you may like Dear Brands: Stop Being Rude To Bloggers or My Job Anxiety.

1. 25th September 2016 / 7:44 pm

I did my fair share of drinking at Uni as well and even though it was fun at the time, I never went out as much as everyone else did. I focused more on my work and one full day of feeling like shit was enough for me for a couple of weeks at least! I don’t get why people think it’s so “cool” and brag about it so much, especially how much they can handle… because who actually even cares? I haven’t drank anything for 9 months since being pregnant and I’m planning on breastfeeding for the next year or more so I won’t be touching it again for a long time and I’m only 22. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest though, I don’t even miss it & doubt I’ll ever drink like I did whilst at Uni again anyway.

Gemma Louise

• 26th September 2016 / 12:11 pm

Totally agreed! It’s seen as such a bad thing that people don’t drink but everyone has different reasons for not doing it and I don’t get why people care so much?!

2. 25th September 2016 / 7:58 pm

Agree completely with this! I drink, but never let myself get beyond slightly tipsy. I just don’t like it, I don’t like how it makes me feel. My mum is an alcoholic (in recovery, thankfully) so I’m way more aware of the affects than most, and it’s not an enjoyable thing for me at all. So glad people are writing posts like this! Thank you

x

• 26th September 2016 / 12:11 pm

I hate the lack of control when I drink now but I never used to be bothered by it, it’s just after going through a weird struggle with it it totally changes your mindset.

3. 25th September 2016 / 8:34 pm

So glad that you’re okay now. And yeah, people should really not judge us for not drinking, it’s our choice and it’s not theirs. I find that people who spend every single weekend shitfaced are so immature and yeah they’re probably gonna think back about it and thought of it as a good memory, but I wouldn’t because I’m not a big fan of drinking. The thought of losing self control over because of drinking scares the shit out of me, so I’m not in the drinking bandwagon.

• 26th September 2016 / 12:12 pm

I find people who get drunk just 24/7 are so immature too and it’s fun to do it sometimes don’t get me wrong but it can have such an affect on your health, life and career! Pretty much ruined my life!

4. Sophie
    25th September 2016 / 8:45 pm

Such a great post! I recently spoke out on my blog about how I dont like to drink as it gives me really bad anxiety. I’m always afraid of being deemed boring but at the end of the day I can have just as much fun without alcohol, I actually love being the only sober one sometimes, you remember things that no else does haha! I completely agree, everyone has their own reason and it’s not up to anyone to judge, I must admit in the past I haven’t always understood why people wouldn’t want to drink but now I have my own experiences and I am older I can now really respect someone for making that choice. Alcohol is more damaging than I think people care to remember. Sophie xx

• 26th September 2016 / 12:13 pm

I will definitely read that now! Sounds really similar for me now, I hate being out of control. I hate how people judge non-drinkers and I don’t understand how it’s important?! Like do what you want in life!

5. Poppy
    25th September 2016 / 9:13 pm

This was actually really interesting to read! I always get called boring for not drinking. I will have a drink now and again but I just don’t understand why I am called boring for not wanting to drink all the time. It annoys me that people think the only bit of fun we can have has to revolve around drinking… Anyway, I could go on for days but I’ll leave it there haha! Great post, girl! x

poppyrkay.blogspot.co.uk

• 26th September 2016 / 12:14 pm

So do I, and people hear my back story and are like ‘oh shit sorry!’ but to be honest nobody should even need an excuse for not drinking anyway! I have plenty of personality and have a good time without drinking!

6. 25th September 2016 / 11:34 pm

I love this post!! I get so much stick for not drinking and sometimes I feel like saying so what?!?! Why does it make me so different that I dont drink alcohol, it doesnt make me boring, it really doesnt make me different to anyone who does drink. Its a choice we choose and that should be respected!!

CharlotteSamantha

• 26th September 2016 / 12:14 pm

I don’t get why we get so many comments about not drinking, it annoys me so much! What’s the problem with it haha!

7. 26th September 2016 / 10:39 am

I’m glad to hear your liver is almost back to how it was. Thank you for sharing your story, I hope it helps people think about the amount they drink, especially at uni when there’s a lot of pressure to do so. It certainly has made me question whether alcohol is needed at all!

• 26th September 2016 / 12:15 pm

Thank you! Luckily your liver can repair itself but if I had kept going I would’ve ended up way worse! The pressure there is for drinking annoys me so much!

8. 26th September 2016 / 2:11 pm

So glad you wrote this post and you’re on the mend now! I don’t drink and always get questioned as to why I don’t. Like does it really matter if I do or I don’t? I hate the stereotype and judgement you get from it, you’re instantly considered as ‘boring’ and ‘weird’ for not following the crowd, but I’d rather be in control and having fun sober, than paralytic drunk on the floor with no recollection of anything xx

Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

• 27th September 2016 / 7:43 pm

Thanks Lauren! Totally agreed with you, if it’s not want we want to do then why the hell does it matter!?

9. 26th September 2016 / 4:14 pm

Oh wow, I’m so sorry that happened to you 🙁 I don’t drink – I hate feeling dizzy, sick and out of control. I’ve been teetotal since I was 16, when I went through a spate of heavy drinking, decided I hated it and promptly stopped. I’m always getting asked why I don’t drink and whilst I don’t have a backstory like yours, it still annoys me. I just don’t drink, okay? I always feel like saying. Great post, I think you’ve said it well – gloating about your alcohol intake is not big or clever.

• 27th September 2016 / 7:44 pm

I’m the same, I hate feeling drunk and what’s the issue! I hate how we have to like explain ourselves! Thanks for your comment!

10. molly
    26th September 2016 / 7:58 pm

AGREE! I’m so turned off by people who drink too much, and especially if they brag about it afterward!

Xx
    Molly

• 27th September 2016 / 7:45 pm

Yeah I feel like alcohol intake doesn’t make anyone cool, like fair enough go and drink but don’t gloat about something that can kill some people!

11. 26th September 2016 / 9:14 pm

Thanks so much for posting this, it speaks volumes to me! During my early years at uni, I also drank a lot (read: too much most of the time!). In my final year I eased off on drinking and eventually stopped altogether. My main reason for drinking was how ill it made me, probably due to medication having a negative impact on my liver – all it took was one sip of alcohol and I’d be violently ill for days after. Now, after two years of not drinking, the thought of getting drunk doesn’t appeal to me. I’m so glad that I don’t drink, that I no longer spend all my money on alcohol, forgettable nights and wasted hungover days. I feel so much better for not drinking. Though with that said, I sometimes miss the confidence alcohol can give you.
    Anyway, I’ll stop rambling! This was such a thought-provoking post so thanks for sharing your story lovely 🙂
    xx
    Tasmin | Grandiose Days

• 27th September 2016 / 7:47 pm

I feel really similar! It made me so ill after a while and now I’ve not drunk in two years and couldn’t think of anything worse to do right now! I feel so much healthier and in control. Thanks so much for your comment, glad you enjoyed! (not sure if enjoyed is the right word!..)

12. 27th September 2016 / 4:28 pm

I moved to a new city to begin university at the weekend and I knew I wasn’t going to participate in all the late night club events. I’m older than most people when they begin university, I am 20 and I have a long term health condition and I am constantly fighting the feeling of pressure and drinking alcohol. 🙁 It’s tough but if you have a reason for not drinking then so be it, you don’t need to do what everyone else is doing or even if you simply do not enjoy drinking then that’s fine too!

• 27th September 2016 / 7:49 pm

The pressure to drink at University is so stressful, I remember it so well! I hate how people who don’t drink are seen as boring when really we could have issues behind the scenes. Why can’t they accept that we’re different! Just enjoy your time at Uni and do what you want to do 🙂

13. Eleanor Pilcher
    6th December 2016 / 2:49 pm

Thank you! Someone says it! God – University was so bad for this! And as a partially tee-total (I really shouldn’t drink but sometimes I have a glass) I am sick of hearing people say this like they deserve a medal!! Great post!

EllesBellesGradBlog | Ellie x

• 7th December 2016 / 4:31 pm

Thank you! It annoys me too, why do people care so much! Glad you agree!

14. 7th December 2016 / 4:56 pm

I feel you on this! I’ve never been into drinking alcohol I’m just not interested. For ages I tried to keep up with everyone and make excuses but it got really boring! I get judged all the time for being ‘boring’ but I really don’t care anymore. They’re boring for going on about it all the time haha xx

Ellé | Ellé Simpson

• 10th December 2016 / 4:29 pm

It’s so annoying how much people get bothered by the fact that some people don’t drink! It’s so not boring, I’m just as bubbly or whatever if I’m drunk or not drunk!