A shirt dress is always a classic item to have in your wardrobe because they can be suitable for casual-wear, office outfits and nights out. Since I’ve started my new job I’ve found that a shirt dress is the perfect item for a smart/casual look (that look that nobody really knows how to create), and now I’m bringing out a new shirt dress and styling it with some winter warmers.
Sometimes I feel like shirt dresses can have a bit of an odd shape, which can make them really tricky to style. Here are some of my top tips!
- Wear a tie around the waist to give it more shape. If it doesn’t come with one then try a belt or a skinny scarf.
- Avoid wearing a scarf. I find scarfs and shirts can be so uncomfortable when worn together and I personally love showing off the neck detail from the shirt.
- Roll up the sleeves for a casual look, and keep them down for a more dressy style.
- Make sure they’re the right length. This one I’m wearing has a longer back which avoids any accidental underwear showage…
- Keep your coat/accessories simple and show off your shirt dress design. Be bold, don’t just go for a plain black shirt dress!
This gorgeous lil’ shirt dress is from PLB and I’m digging the monochrome vibes with a few warm accents. I love anything with an aztec pattern and even though it may be considered a little summery, it can certainly be layered up for Autumn.
I’ve kept the detail all in the dress and worn a plain and simple (but staple) black coat from New Look with a grey bag from Quiz and some black boots from Ravel. This is the exact outfit I’ve worn to work recently and it was such a comfortable, easy outfit to wear!
HOW TO STYLE A SHIRT DRESS IN AUTUMN
SHOP MY LOOK
Shirt Dress – c/o PLB
Bag – c/o Quiz Clothing
Coat – New Look
Shoes – c/o Ravel
I’ve finished off this look with a nude lip and some everyday make-up because at the moment I’m all about no-fuss, no-effort looks that look amazing. Now I’m a working girl I’ve got so much less time to get ready in the morning and these kinda looks are such easy go-to’s!
Let me know if you’re loving shirt dresses even though it’s a lil’ chilly!
Plus, don’t forget to check out my Halloween post for a last minute outfit idea this weekend.
** c/o shows items that have been sent to me by the brands but all items are chosen and styled by me and aren’t influenced by other parties. **