Beauty and Make-Up Favourites From 2016

This year has seen about a billion different make-up and beauty trends, and I have to say I wasn’t really a fan of any of them. I cba with heavy contouring and I’m still all about that no-fuss beauty routine – I’m honestly so basic when it comes to all of that but I guess I just prefer an extra 15 minutes in bed in the morning. Over the past year however I’ve really found my signature daily products that not only cover up my acnaic skin and give me an on-fleek eyeliner wing, but that don’t give me that ‘heavy, fake make-up’ look.

I thought I’d share with you all my top products from 2016, and why I think they’re worth shouting about.

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

I’ve mentioned this foundation a few times this year, and that’s because it’s become my new holy grail foundation. It is relatively pricey at around £30 per bottle (and it doesn’t even come with a bloody pump) but I couldn’t imagine using anything else. Weirdly enough it seems to be aimed at those with dry skin, whereas I find it perfect for my face even though I’m an oily-skinned gal. It mattifies as you put it on so I don’t even bother with powder, and I use shade Siberia which is such a good shade for really pale girls! I’ve had a bottle for around 8 months and it’s just about to run out, so it has lasted quite well too!

Seventeen Stay Time Concealer

I’ve spent years trying to find a good concealer, and this is the one I now use everyday without fail. Not only does it cost around a fiver, it really works. I always use this to cover red blotches, spots and around my eyes before I put my foundation on and it really evens my skin before I fully apply my make-up!

Lancome Grandiose Eyeliner

I received this eyeliner as a PR sample earlier this year and I haven’t used another liner since, and I’ve even repurchased it myself as I found it SO good. What I want from a liquid eyeliner is for the brush to be really thin and really soft, and this liner is just that. This product doesn’t budge at all on my eyes but it also comes off really easily (no panda eyes huns). Just as a comparison, I also tried Kat Von D’s tattoo liner this year and I found it so sharp that it hurt my eyes to apply, and the price difference between the two isn’t that different, so I’d always recommend the Lancome liner!

Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick

I may not be the biggest fan of the tattoo liner but one Kat Von D product I’m really obsessed with is the liquid lipstick. I have one in a bright red and one in a dusky dark pink, both of which I wear all the time (the shade in the photos is Lolita!). I find the formula really soft to use and it doesn’t dry out at all!

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel

Not so make-up related, but I fell in love with this face gel from Clinique earlier this year. It was originally a PR sample but I’ve since restocked, and I just find it sits really nicely on my face and makes a perfect make-up primer (yes, I’m so lazy I don’t even use primer). I always find moisturisers and creams really sticky and I love how this gel moisturises and leaves a smooth/non-greasy feel to my face after using.

Spectrum Make-Up Brushes

I did a review earlier in the year of some Spectrum brushes (have a read here) and I’ve used them every day since I received them. The foundation and eyeshadow brushes are my absolute favourites and not only do they look totally instagrammable, they’re the softest synthetic brushes I’ve ever felt. I feel like I clean them less than other brushes too because they don’t build up as much make-up, and I couldn’t not have them in my favourite products for 2016 (technically not a ‘product’ but whatever).

SHOP THE POST

I’d love to know what you all think of my favourite make-up products for 2016, and of course what yours are! Leave me a comment below with any recommendations!

If you liked this post you may like The Body Shop Superfood Face Masks / Review or 3 Christmas Party Eye Make-Up Looks With Urban Decay.

1. Erin
    31st December 2016 / 9:48 am

I have loved Sheer Glow, Kat Von D and Spectrum brushes this year too! All are so beautiful! If you love the liner though try Seventeen wet look – I find the applicator very similar!

Erin || MakeErinOver

• 2nd January 2017 / 1:35 pm

I know right, so good! Oooh that sounds great, probably a bit cheaper too! Will have a look!

2. 31st December 2016 / 10:22 am

I have been using the Seventeen concealer ever since it was released! Its amazing. I got some Spectrum eye brushes for Christmas they are so pretty. Of course Sheer Glow is one of my faves too.

EmmysBeautyCave | Blog Header Designs | Instagram

• 2nd January 2017 / 1:36 pm

I couldn’t use another concealer, I haven’t found one as good or as good a shade match! You’ll also love the Spectrum brushes Em!

3. Parie Joshi
    31st December 2016 / 1:10 pm

I must try sheer glow soon, it sounds amazing!

Parie x
    Class and Glitter

• 2nd January 2017 / 1:36 pm

It’s so good! The pale shade is so good for me cause I’m so white. The coverage is perfect too!

4. Jessica
    31st December 2016 / 2:37 pm

I love Nars products! Happy New Year x

Jessica — NinetyCo

• 2nd January 2017 / 1:37 pm

I’ve only ever tried their foundation and I’m always so tempted to buy other stuff, wish it wasn’t so pricey but I guess it’s nice to invest in some nice make-up!

5. 2nd January 2017 / 8:41 pm

Yes to Sheer Glow! I’ve been using it for a while, always with a beauty blender. But the other day I used a Primark stippling brush with it and OH MY GOD. I love it even more! I’m going to try Siberia next time, as not convinced my colour match it quite right! Those brushes are sooo gorgeous too
    x

• 4th January 2017 / 8:07 pm

Sheer Glow is just amazing! It’s hard to match without trying it in store (I bought online and just got lucky) but it’s just perfect!

6. Fii
    4th January 2017 / 12:16 pm

I’m a massive fan of gel products (the feel is just *so much better* sometimes), so yay for the clinique moisturising gel! I’ve never actually tried any seventeen products… I probably should at this point, I’m always looking for new concealers :’)

Also, LOVE THESE PHOTOS. THEY’RE SO BEAUTIFUL.

• 4th January 2017 / 8:10 pm

I’d never cared much for gel products until I tried the Clinique gel, and I love it! I have the moisturising lotion though too and love that just as much. Deffo try out Seventeen, they have such a good range of bargain products!!

7. Karishma
    4th January 2017 / 9:10 pm

Love Nars Sheer Glow, I haven’t repurchased in a while so might try it out again after ready this post. I’m also currently dying to try Lolita from Kat Von D! I need to try so many of your favourites!

Karishma xx

• 7th January 2017 / 11:02 am

I’m about to run out and I’m totally repurchasing! You’ll also love Kat Von D liquid lip, you have to get one! Lolita is my fave shade but they have good reds too!

8. 11th January 2017 / 10:20 am

I love the Seventeen Stay Time concealer too! Spectrum brushes are soo good, love your flat lays! I’m awful at taking them!xx

• 11th January 2017 / 11:15 am

It’s an amazing concealer isn’t it!? It’s so underrated and the price is just amazing! And thank you – I think it’s just the camera, I invested in an olympus pen late last year and it’s amazing!

• 27th March 2017 / 5:56 pm

Thank you Kayley! NARS Sheer Glow is SO good!