It’s Ok To Stay In Your Clothing Comfort Zone

What’s your clothing comfort zone? Well, mines a pair of stretchy skinny jeans and a soft tee. Life can throw a lot at us, and there’s nothing worse than having a sh*t day and also being really damn uncomfortable. I thought I’d talk about comfort zones when it comes to clothes and why it’s A-OK to wanna stick to your usual items, especially when it comes to formal dressing.

Once I went to an event and I wore THE tiniest dress you could possibly imagine, and it was so tight around my stomach that I literally couldn’t breath or eat – WHY did I bother? I probably looked alright, but I didn’t feel alright. In actual fact, I had a totally awful time. When it comes to events and dinners I think there can be so much pressure around ‘looking right’ and ‘wearing the right clothes’, but what if you’re just not in the mood?

If you’re not necessarily a ‘dress girl’, like me, then you’ll definitely feel most comfortable in trousers, and in my case, jeans. I do like dresses, but sometimes I’m just not feeling having my legs out (and as I mentioned before, I haven’t had the best history with them). Jeans are really where my comfort zone is, and I always feel so fab when I wear them, so why can’t we wear them to more formal events too?

Well the answer is, of course you can! Here are my tips for styling up jeans for events or parties.

BLAZER IT UP

Any blazer will totally smarten up your outfit. It doesn’t matter what colour, but stick to looser ones so you avoid that work styled tailoring. I always size up too!

HEELS FOR DAYS

If you don’t want to wear heels you can opt for flat ballet shoes, but a good heel will take your jeans from casual mode to party mode in an instant. The ones I’m wearing in this outfit even have glitter on gals!

WEAR A BELT

A belt is one of my favourite accessories at the moment, and I really think they formalise an outfit. A black and gold/silver one will add to the smart vibes you’ve got going on.

ACCESSORIES

I’m talking about nice jewellery and a non-work style bag. My bag in this outfit is big enough for my purse and spare make-up, but not so big that it looks like it’d fit my paperwork in it. If you’re off to a party, go glam with a glitzy clutch bag!

SHOP MY OUTFIT

Blazer – New Look

Tee – New Look

Jeans – New Look

Belt – New Look

Shoes – Ego

Bag – New Look

Watch – Daniel Wellington

Don’t feel bad about not wearing a dress if it’s not in your comfort zone, and always stick to what you feel best in. If, like me, you’re a total denim lover – style up your jeans with accessories and heels for any event, and be sure to check out New Look if you need some new jeans!

** This post is sponsored by New Look but all items chosen, opinions and styling are my own.**

1. Jessica
    26th January 2017 / 9:44 am

This definitely is my kind of outfits x

Jessica — NinetyCo

2. 26th January 2017 / 9:49 am

I’m totally with you, jeans look fab if you style them right. I’m living for the colour of that blazer, I swear that’s my favourite shade of purple!

Jodie // jodieloue.com

• 26th January 2017 / 8:42 pm

They can look really dressed up can’t they! The blazer is lush paired with jeans and I’m obsessed with the colour too!

3. Candice
    26th January 2017 / 10:45 am

I really love that blazer!! It’s a stunning colour

Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

• 26th January 2017 / 8:42 pm

It’s lush isn’t it! Glad ya like it Candice!

4. Abi Street
    26th January 2017 / 12:55 pm

Robyn, you look absolutely gorgeous!! I definitely love staying in my comfort zone but mixing it up a little and ask something new now and again! x

Abi | abistreetx

• 26th January 2017 / 8:43 pm

Thanks so much Abi! I don’t see anything wrong with staying in a comfort zone if it makes you enjoy yourself more! I love to branch out with nice dresses and whatnot too, but sometimes I’m just not in the mood!

5. Areli
    26th January 2017 / 4:44 pm

Cute bag and blazer Robin!
    xx,
    Areli // Areli’s April blog

6. 26th January 2017 / 7:30 pm

I agree, it can be difficult not to be pressured into ‘looking right’ at events. I wear what’s comfortable nowadays and that’s that! I love trying out new styles and I feel good in what I wear almost all the time now 🙂 I’m loving this outfit, it’s so chic! The blazer is everything too, I recently bought myself two high waist pairs of tailored trousers from ASOS, and it’s made me want a blazer too! Love this one – might purchase it next month! xx

• 26th January 2017 / 8:45 pm

There can be a lot of ‘expectations’ with what people wear, especially I find it at fashion events. Those trousers sound fab and I’m pretty sure I have a pair of them too, they’ll look fab with a blazer like this! It’s a good price too!

7. 26th January 2017 / 9:14 pm

Yes girl! Fab post, you look amazing! Xx

8. 29th January 2017 / 10:15 pm

I agree with you on the clothing comfort zone and I don’t think it’s a bad thing to stick in there as long as you feel good and comfortable. I also feel best wearing jeans and I even figured out ways to style them in a business kind of way 🙂

xoxo

Alma || Peppermint Chocolate

• 31st January 2017 / 2:35 pm

Yeah I think it’s quite easy to style jeans for business/formal/party outfits! I feel so comfortable in them!

• 31st January 2017 / 2:36 pm

Agreed! There’s nothing I hate more than going to an occasion or something and just feeling weird because of my outfit!

9. Caroline
    3rd February 2017 / 8:04 pm

Fab post and fab outfit. Right up my street. 🙂
    I am trousers, jean all day/year round! It’s a rarity I wear anything else and dresses have only just come on the scene for me in the shape of shirt dresses.
    I definitely second all your tips. I just bought a belt, so will see how I get on with it, as I normally like covering with loose shirts etc just below my belly button.

Caroline.x

• 5th February 2017 / 8:50 pm

Glad you like it Caroline! I agree, and I love shirt dresses too! They’re a good alternative for non-dress-wearers. A belt is good for shaping dresses when you’re not used to wearing them so good luck with it, you’ll look amazing!