My London Fashion Week Dilemma

For the last few days everything has been all about London Fashion Week. Even if you don’t keep up with it, you’ll see photos of people gathered at catwalks and events in the big city. LFW is a huge time for bloggers as we can see what the new trends and styles are going to be, as well as meeting up with our favourite pals to discuss all things clothes and shoes.

Do I partake in this? No. I never have, but I reeeeeally want to.

Welcome to my LFW dilemma.

I’ve been fashion blogging for nearly 2 years, and I’ve been interested in fashion/fashion week for about 4 or 5. I’ve always kept an eye on what happens during LFW, but usually to be honest I’m mostly interested in what people are wearing there and the street style. I’ve been invited to events probably for the last 3 LFW’s but I’m still yet to go, even though it would be SUCH an amazing experience for me.

You see, I can think of so many negative issues surrounding the week – the first being the cost. It costs so much to travel down to London, as well as pay for hotels. Even if I stayed with friends in London for free, I’d still have to pay for food and whatnot, and this gal really doesn’t have any spare funds. The other issue for me is the total inability to be social. I hate travelling far from home (anxiety), I hate meeting people I’ve never met before (anxiety) and I hate being in a place where I have no idea where I’m going (… anxiety). The whole ‘go away for a few days by yourself and meet new people and go to packed and busy events‘ just fills me with absolute horror. I would feel so freaked out not having a place to ‘run away’ to, and the last place I want to embarrass myself is in front of a load of famous fashionistas and models.

It’s such a dilemma for me because all I’ve seen for the last few days are fun events going on with my fave brands and my fave bloggers meeting up and hanging out together. I wish I could be part of the fashion blogger groups so that I could speak to like-minded clothes-obsessed people, but I’m just too scared. I almost feel jealous that I’m not included, is that wrong? #MAJORFOMO.

In terms of blogging, I feel like it’s holding me back massively. If I went to more of the brand events I could speak to them in person and discuss opportunities. If I met more bloggers I’d be able to find out more blogging tips and advice. I’d be able to take photos of shows and bring more content to my followers, which would hopefully give me a more widespread range and bring me more readers in the future. I feel like I’m failing my fashion blogger duties by not being part of LFW, but I still feel like it’s too much for me to attend.

This post is so ‘woe is me’ but really I just want to see if I’m the only one who feels this way, or if anyone has any advice. I have a fab support network of blogger friends (both fashion and not fashion) and it’s great to keep up with the blogging world through them, but is it really as good as meeting people in person?

SHOP MY LOOK

Dress – Topshop (avail in petite!)

Jacket – Old but similar here

Bag – Missguided

Shoes – c/o 4th & Reckless

Necklace – Topshop

I’d love to know your thoughts on this! Do you think it’s imperative to go to LFW if you blog about fashion? Is it holding me back? Or is it okay to keep up with it on the sidelines and wait until I’m comfortable with money, and with London? Drop me a comment as always my loves!

** c/o shows items gifted to me by brands, but all items are picked out and styled by moi! **

1. 20th February 2017 / 8:10 am

I’ve never been either! I think I’d quite like to go, but I wouldn’t really know what to expect or what to do.
    When I first started blogging I used to go to events maybe every couple of months. They were loads of fun! But the costs can definitely can add up.
    I get anxiety too, but actually forcing myself into going helped me a lot generally with my confidence 🙂
    Love this dress!
    x

• 21st February 2017 / 2:28 pm

Yeah I think I’ll never get over the anxiety unless I actually go to the events and get used to being at them. I love the idea of LFW even though I’m a bit clueless about it!

2. 20th February 2017 / 9:14 am

I’ve never been to any blogging events or anything like that so I have no helpful advice I’m sorry! I hate big crowds though so attending LFW doesn’t appeal to me x

LuxeStyle

• 21st February 2017 / 2:28 pm

Huge crowds aren’t really my thing either which is why I think I’m so scared to go, but I feel like I’m missing out with it!

3. 20th February 2017 / 10:57 am

Totally get where you’re coming from Robyn – any blogger event is daunting, yet alone LFW!! I’m still yet to attend any events because of the fear – I am the most awkward person going!! I think the best thing to do is just push yourself! Or maybe you can find a friend to go with? Make it a girly weekend?xx

Lucy x | lucy-cole.co.uk

• 21st February 2017 / 2:29 pm

I know I’m SO awkward too and I’d be so worried about freaking out in front of everyone. I do think I need to ease my way in with smaller events and that way I can build up to bigger events like LFW!

4. Eleanor Austin
    20th February 2017 / 2:17 pm

I think you should only do something if you feel comfortable doing it.

I’m not good in big groups. However, I have plans to meet up with another blogger for cake and a mooch, just the two of us. Maybe, try doing something small first and then work your way to London?x

• 21st February 2017 / 2:30 pm

Yeah I’m ok in some big places which are near me but I’ve not been to London in years. I think small steps with London is the way to go!

5. Millie
    20th February 2017 / 6:09 pm

I’ve wanted to go to LFW for the longest time, but I totally get what you mean! It looks like such an amazing experience but extremely stressful all at the same time. If I actually got the opportunity I’d probably feel the same way, it’s so daunting. Also I don’t think it’s imperative that you go, you should do what you feel comfortable with and not put pressure on yourself x

Millie x // Millie’s Wardrobe

• 21st February 2017 / 2:32 pm

It’s such a daunting idea and it’s so terrifying if you’re not that familiar with London. I think I need to take small steps with it but it’s such a freaky place to me!

6. Rachael Dickinson
    20th February 2017 / 6:14 pm

I think you could always give it a go. You don’t if you don’t try I suppose. Love the look though!

Rachael xox

• 21st February 2017 / 2:32 pm

I’ve always had problems with big cities and have gotten way better by going to places near me, but London is one I haven’t cracked yet. I’m sure I will one day!

7. Caroline
    22nd February 2017 / 7:45 am

I hear you! I’ve been blogging for 4 years, however only more dedicated in the last 3 and posting style posting in the last 2. I’ve always been interested by LFW. I’m not clued up on my designers, apart from the obvious, so not sure what I could really do with the content (if any) I’d get from going, but I’ve just wanted to go to say I’ve been and experience it. However, like you, I have total social situation problems and anxiety over everything problems. I hate public transport. I too don’t have the spare funds for any London-like costs and I couldn’t go alone.
    I’ve spoken to people that have been before and they’ve said that it’s quite insane and I can imagine it being more stressful than enjoyable, dependant upon how many/if any shows you see, but also can imagine people just peacocking and maybe being quite rude.. But, that’s my thought.

Caroline.x

• 25th February 2017 / 4:47 pm

It’s the whole experience which I feel like I’m missing out on – I know a bit about designers and whatnot but not LOADS, but the idea is so fun! I think if there’s a fun event going on that some bloggers you know are going to then that would be a good way to get into the idea without freaking yourself out!

8. Chloe
    23rd February 2017 / 8:57 pm

Outfit on point as ever, Robyn!

Sometimes it’s good to step out of your comfort zone but you’ve definitely got to take cost into account!

• 25th February 2017 / 4:48 pm

Thanks lovely! And yeah definitely, otherwise we’d get nowhere! I think small steps to London are the best option, but it just costs so much!