You know when you just see a dress and know it’s something you’ve got to buy? This happens all too often with me recently. I’m always out high street shopping, whether it be for day to day essentials or clothes, but I always like to keep an eye out on trends, new in items and the colours of the season. I think the high street are absolutely owning it when it comes to dresses for summer 2018, and I think we have more choice than ever when it comes to finding the perfect one.
Not only are 90% of the dresses I see totally amazing, they’re also pretty good value. I’ll always look at the high street for dresses and couldn’t imagine spending more than £40 on one (unless it’s for an occasion, or I’ve just been paid lol). Recently I found the most gorgeous summer dress for only £29 in Topshop (yes, £29 in Topshop!) and it’s been on me ever since.
Isn’t it BEAUTIFUL?
I love a polka dot, and usually I’d opt for black dresses with white spots so this is a little change in my wardrobe. Now I’m a little tanned thanks to this heatwave (and thanks to sir fake-tan-a-lot) I’m feeling white as an outfit choice more often, and I can tell that this dress is going to be one I go back to all summer.
Black is literally gone in this look, have you noticed? And I’m feeling confident and stylish without spending all that much. A few years ago you wouldn’t have found a dress like this for so cheap in Topshop (it’s not all that different from a £300 Self Portrait dress I’ve seen!) and I think brands like Topshop and River Island are cottoning on to the fact that consumers love a bargain, and that sales/cheaper prices will make us buy more often. We’d rather have 10 dresses than 1, wouldn’t we?!
I thought I’d talk you through my summer dress styling tips too. Often the dress does most of the talking in your outfit, but there’s nothing wrong with delving into the look and finding pieces that match. Here are my top tips!
- The sales recently are amazing for accessories! At this time of year brands are thinking about autumn and winter (yes, they are!!) and a lot of bags/purses and sunglasses are on sale. Take advantage of it during the heatwave!
- Don’t be afraid to wear light with light. I bought this white dress and instead of instantly pairing it with a black bag, I opted for a pastel colour.
- There are LOADS of cover-ups on the high street at the moment. I sometimes want my shoulders covered but love a strappy dress, so a little cover-up does the trick. Something like this in New Look is ideal!
- Try different dress lengths. The midi/maxi style is IN this summer, and often you’ll find they’re breezy and cooler to wear. Also… no skirt flying up conundrums!
- Add pops of colour! A red pair of sunglasses or brightly coloured watch will make your summer outfit.
SUMMER DRESSES UNDER £30
Dress – Topshop
Bag – New Look (pastel blue is sold out but there’s a lush tan one!)
Shoes – Next
Sunglasses – River Island
Ring – c/o Adore
Bracelet – c/o Adore
Watch – Daniel Wellington
What do you think of my outfit? Are you a dress wearer, or are you more of a jeans girl during summer? I hope my dress-wearing tips helped! Let me know your thoughts in the comments!
* c/o shows items gifted to me for the post. Affiliate links are used throughout the post *